Ask a goalgami Expert:Answer

Have a financial question?SUBMIT>


How do I go about consolidating my students loans if two are under my mother’s name?


I’m not sure what you mean by “under my mother’s name.” Did she co-sign your loans, or did she take out loans and then hand the money over to you? Also, you don’t state whether these loans were taken out under one of the various government programs set up to help students finance their education, such as Stafford Loans or Federal Family Education Loans. If they were, then you can apply for a Debt Consolidation Loan at this U.S. Department of Education website:

But be careful, because certain loans can only be consolidated at certain times, such as during the grace period between when you finish school and when you are due to begin repayment of the original loans. Also, you may have to pay a higher interest rate than on your present loans, and you could lose some benefits of those loans, for instance the ability to have some of the debt canceled by taking certain public-service jobs, such as teaching. If your loans were not received under the auspices of a government program, then consolidating is a matter of shopping around for a single loan on better terms than the existing ones and using the proceeds to retire the original debt.

-Conrad de Aenlle