Ask a goalgami Expert:Answer

Have a financial question?SUBMIT>


I’d like to review my credit reports to ensure that all of my information is accurate and error-free. Where would I go to access this information?


This sort of question comes up a lot. Everyone is entitled to a free copy of his or her credit report from each of the three agencies – TransUnion, Equifax and Experian – once a year. Just go to Another question that comes up a lot is what to do if something is amiss in one of your reports. The first step is to check the other reports to see how many brushfires you will need to stamp out. Once you identify a mistake, you should write to the agency (or agencies) that made it and explain what you think is wrong.
The letter should be exceedingly detailed, with the name of the creditor, the account number and an explanation of the error. Whatever happened – someone used your credit card without authorization; a charge was for an incorrect amount; you were charged for a product you never received – spell it out as precisely as possible. Include copies of any supporting documents, not originals, with your letter and ask the agency to investigate. Also ask the agency to place your letter in your credit file so at least your side of the story is there for all to see. You should also send all this paperwork to the relevant creditor, which is required to report the dispute to any other entity to which it sends credit information about you.
-Conrad de Aenlle