Ask a goalgami Expert:Answer

Have a financial question?SUBMIT>


What disasters do homeowner insurance policies generally cover? Have you heard of earthquake coverage?


From your user name, it sounds as if you could use some quake insurance, but homeowner policies nearly universally exclude coverage for damage from earthquakes or floods. The typical policy covers mundane sources of damage or loss, such as vandalism, theft or broken glass, and personal liability, in case your neighbor slips in your driveway, for instance. As for protection against the elements, you're likely to be covered for damage resulting from hail, wind, lightning, fire and smoke. If it makes you rest any easier living in San Francisco, should lava from an erupting volcano engulf your home, your claim stands a good chance of being paid.
-Conrad de Aenlle